Saturday, October 28, 2006

Rich, the garden and his little girl Rich is a man of the heart and the hands. He's been spending quite a bit of time in our vegetable garden, weeding and planting and caring for it. The result? We have all kinds of vegies slowly growing AND - are just having our first yummy strawberries!!! WONDERFUL!!! He had to put netting over the strawberry patches, since the birds were coming after them as soon as they were getting ripe. Kind of reminds me of what he's doing in Fiji. There's a lot of care that needs to be put into the preparation of the IWT campaign. Sowing, planting, weeding, protecting... There's a lot of work and it takes a long time until you can harvest - and sometimes there are "birds" who would like to steal the harvest. So, you've got to be vigilant and protect the harvest. Just what Nehemiah had to do when he was re-building the wall of Jerusalem. Rich's favorite Bible character is Nehemiah - I know why :) Rich just discovered two more herbs/vegies in our garden that we didn't know were there - mint leaves, which I love to eat and make tea with, and potatoes. WOW WOW WOW!!! All these hidden treasures... Who knows what he'll discover next? This is fun! I think Kylie comes after Rich. She's also got a really BIG heart and doesn't mind getting her hands dirty - I mean REAL dirty! She even loves to play with worms. Today, she came to me heart-broken that her worm had somehow ripped in half - I couldn't quite understand all her explanations:) I just had to take of picture of her (just happened to have the camera with me - you may notice her all dresesd up - she is now dressing herself and gets changed many times a day - most often she wants to be a princess)

This photo is shortly afterwards. Rich had just given her a new, big fat worm and she came to show it to me - squealing with joy! Our little princess!

No comments: