Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Feeling awkward One morning a week, I am going to a ladies' cell group of our church, where we do crafts - mostly Christmas decorations and gifts. Yes, we're only August, but the weather sure is more Christmassy now than it'll be in December so it's quite fitting! Look at this view from our home this morning at 7:30 with frost - oh, it was so beautiful, but colder than ever - only 45degrees Fahrenheit, 8degrees Celcius - in our bedroom this morning - brrrr. I felt to joing this group because I am starting to befriend the lady who runs it, Deborah. She is just a couple years older than me, has got 8 kids from 19-4, was a pastor's wife and has home schooled for years - just the funnest person to be around and very inspiring! Of course, preparing "stuff" for Christmas comes in handy too and I haven't done crafts in YYYEEAAARRRSSS. I used to love it. Just never seemed to get around to anything more than the essentials. Even now, I really have to fight for this time every Wednesday, but I am loving it. Well, sort of. Let me explain: I do LOVE getting into crafts again, and the feeling of actually getting some little gifts made - and so early - leaves me feeling pretty good. On the other hand, spending time with these ladies makes me realize how "out of it" and "different" I am... Once again. Don't get me wrong! They are very nice people! Every time I change countries and cultures, I feel like a dumb little kid once again that knows nothing and has to learn everything. Sure, there is the advantage of at least speaking some of the language. I stress the "some", because the English I learnt hanging around Rich all these years is quite different to the English they speak here... I was told that there are 40,000 words different between American and New Zealand English - I believe it - and am still learning. The language is actually just a minor in the feeling awkward. Of course, there are all the fine differences in humour and just the "feel" of life that I am learning - and feeling quite out of it most of the time. The biggest gap I find is the vastly different life we have lived. Having lived in Tahiti all these years and then coming here really makes me feel like I am from a different planet! The kind of things the ladies talk about - and it's all the little things of running families and living life - I just can't relate to. For instance when it comes to Christmas and all the decorations, gifts, food, activities etc. - I have never had or done any of it. Life was so much simpler in Tahiti! And they think it strange that we don't have Christmas stockings for our kids and specially "themed" birthday cakes, just to give you a couple of examples. Of course they're too polite to say it out loud, but you can just feel the awkward silence. As a matter of fact, I have learned that the best thing is to listen and stay silent, at least most of the time. How does that saying go? "Even a fool when he is quiet, people will think he's wise." Of course, I do want to join in sometimes, like today when they were talking of birthdays and how the kids can choose their favorite food. They all said what their kids' favorite foods were (like hamburgers etc) and were REALLY quiet when I mentioned what my kids want as special food on their birthday - raw fish... Get the picture? So, I am on a journey again to learn the ways of a new culture. It's always good to eat a bit of humble pie - - - maybe part of God's plan to answer my prayers for killing my pride. Yeah! And - at the end of the day - I can honestly say that all the learning of the past has enriched me greatly! And - who knows - maybe God will allow me to enrich the other ladies too, with some of the experiences I've had! Better stop rambling. All that said, I really do enjoy learning and getting to know these new people and their culture! Thank you Jesus for the awesome privilege we have of living in beautiful New Zealand!

No comments: