Thursday, August 31, 2006
People People People
It's amazing how many lonely, needy and hurting people live among us. You could never tell - well, let's say, most of the time :) - until you start talking with them.
I've had the privilege of meeting several ladies in the last few days that really need help or just a listening ear and some kindness. I LOVE PEOPLE!!!
When I was just a teenager and grasped by the love of God, I kept walking the streets of my town in Germany, looking at PEOPLE, feeling God's love for them and wishing I could spend my life reaching out to them. I said to God, "Wouldn't it be great if it could be my job to do this - to have the time just to stop and sit on a bench with somebody - being a friend and talk to them about YOU?!"
Well, God granted me my desire and I love it!!!
Just this week, I met this single Mom with 2 little ones under 2 that is exhausted and needs help and a friend. Then I met another young Mom with a very busy husband and 2 little ones under 3. She is pregnant, too, and feeling horrible - just the way I felt when I was pregnant with Kylie. Only that she has no help at all... and her 14-month old is very active and into everything. Her doctor had just diagnosed her with severe depression...
Then today, I had a sad and lonely widow over for morning tea and in the afternoon was able to take home an elderly lady who had been waiting for a bus for an hour and was getting desperate. She knocked on my car window as I was getting ready to leave the parking lot (after going to the optometrist for my contact lenses! By the way, we found my glasses!). It was funny, she kept talking the whole way - and not always nicely - about different politicians and problems with the traffic. When I dropped her off, I said "God bless you" and she got really excited and said: "Oh, God bless you, too! I am a Christian, too!" :)
I love it how God directs me day by day! I've had another few guests at the house this week and will have the interns over again tomorrow.
Sometimes I wish I could do so much more. But I have learned that I am not the answer to every need :). I need to be sensitive to God and find out when to do what. And then, of course, I've got to make sure I take good care of my family, too! Not to mention catching up on correspondence and our family finances (tends to get pushed to the end of the "to do" list).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment